3 Simple Ways to Lower Your Cholesterol Without Harmful Drugs

| November 15, 2010 | Comments (18)

Your LDL (‘bad’) cholesterol levels depend on a combination of factors, including your genes and diet. Some people are genetically predisposed to have high concentrations of LDL. A diet high in saturated fat is also detrimental, as is being overweight.

A fail-safe way of keeping your LDL levels low and HDL ‘good’ cholesterol levels high is to take plenty of exercise such as aerobics, swimming, brisk walking and weight-lifting; reduce stress; stop smoking; lose any excess weight and only drink alcohol in moderation.

Taking these measures in addition to following a diet that is low in saturated fat and refined carbohydrates can help maintain the right balance of cholesterol levels. While saturated fat is bad for your heart, unsaturated fat can be beneficial since it possesses anti-inflammatory properties that help counteract inflammation in your arteries, which causes arterial damage.

Doctors commonly treat high cholesterol with statin drugs. However, these drugs are linked to causing a wide range of harmful side-effects including liver damage, sexual dysfunction and decreased insulin sensitivity to name just a few.

The following alternatives can help you to balance your cholesterol at the right levels:

• Curcumin (turmeric root): Scientists believe that curcumin attaches to cholesterol and prevents its ability to pass from the bowel to the rest of your body, where it can do harm.
    Curcumin also helps control your cholesterol levels assisting your liver to eliminate any excess cholesterol. Not only does curcumin have an overall beneficial effect on cholesterol, it is also able to specifically increase HDL levels and reduce LDL. On top of that, curcumin also helps keep your blood thin, which prevents blood clots from forming in your arteries and lowers your risk of having a heart attack. The recommended dosage for curcumin is 900mg taken once or twice a day.
  • Gugulipid (commiphora mukul): Commiphora is a tree that grows in India and produces a resin called gugulipid. This active ingredient of the tree has been used traditionally to treat everything from acne to viral infections. Modern research findings have now discovered that it is also able to lower cholesterol levels. Indian researchers treated 125 patients suffering from high cholesterol with gugulipid for several weeks. The results showed that there was an 11 per cent drop in the levels of cholesterol in the patients blood, and a 60 per cent increase in HDL levels. The recommended dosage for gugulipid is 140mg taken once or twice a day.
  • Niacin: Also known as vitamin B3, niacin works by reducing levels of LDL. It also reduces other substances that are detrimental to heart health such as triglycerides (blood fats) that, like cholesterol, contribute to your arteries becoming blocked. Niacin must be taken at a high dose in order to be effective. However, high amounts can cause facial flushing (a sudden redness and hot sensation in the face). The recommended dosage is 1,000mg up to three times a day. If you do experience facial flushing then lowering the dose to approximately half or a third of the recommended amount should help clear the problem up while still remaining effective.

Until Next Time,

The Cholesterol Truth

Here’s to a healthy heart

Bear in mind all the material in this email alert is provided for information purposes only. We are not addressing anyone’s personal situation. Please consult with your own physician before acting on any recommendations contained herein.

Sources:

Molecular & Cellular Biochemistry 1995, 152/1: 13-21

Clinical Trials with Gugulipid. J Assoc Physicians India 1989, 37 (5): 323-328

British Journal of Cardiology, 1998, 5(3): 156-163

Am J Cardiol 1998, 82:12A, 35U-38U

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Category: Natural Cholesterol-Lowering Alternatives, What Doctors Don't Tell You

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

1. Mark says:

I’m 33 and trying to be healthy with regards to saturated fats and keeping cholesterol low. I’ve read a few of your pages and notice the following discoveries with regards to natural alternatives to statins. “The recommended dosage for curcumin is 900mg taken once or twice a day.”"The recommended dosage for gugulipid is 140mg taken once or twice a day.”"Dr Ried added that taking more than 25 milligrams of lycopene daily, can reduce “bad” cholesterol by up to 10 per cent and help protect against heart disease.”Can these all be taken together or should you select one or the other?Many thanks

2. Eva Marsh says:

Dear Cholesterol Truth – Please do in depth literature review … cholesterol is essential for the proper function of every cell on the body. Levels have nothing to do with heart problems, Drug side effecta ere being mis diagnised as ms, als and Parkinson’s disease. Outrageous behaviour iand depression are other effects.

3. tessa says:

i to have bad muscle pain in arms after taking statins and want to know how long will have pain continue if at all?

4. shan says:

With all this report. Im confused on what to do. to keep taking my prescribed crestor 10 mg daily or just stop and do more exercise and good diet. advise please im 33 yrs old and have 2 yrs old child.

5. Helen Cadenhead says:

I have just read your article on phytosterol I have high cholesterol and my doctor has given me statins to take I realy dont want to take statins . I went to my health shop and they recommend taking phytosterol complex 4 a day with no-flush niacin 2 a day I now feel confused about the sterol

6. Mrs Reynolds says:

My mother-in-law suffered a stroke and was put on angina meds & wafrin, and told nothing else could be done for her. She still had chest pain, breathlessness and angina pain. Friends from Canada told her to try Strauss Heartdrops and within six weeks her angina had gone, she no longer takes angina,or cholesterol tablets and has increased energy and can go for long walks with her dog. Why doesn’t anyone in the UK know of these life saving alternatives??

7. 0xc0000005 says:

I read about cholesterol lowering proprieties of avocado and I notice positive changes when included it in the diet. It contains 30% of unsaturated fats and just one fruit makes you feel full for really long and you will also carve less fatty food and sweets.

8. Jan Sprank says:

I was wondering if there has been much research on people with hypothyroidism and taking statins to lower cholesterol. It seems the quick fix answer to high cholesterol is prescribe a statin. I have been struggling with both for two years now- body aches,fatigue and an irritating cough. Can statins work against the thyroid medcation syntroid and prevent it from doing it’s job?

9. Delphine Schemanski says:

I am on blood thinner[warfarin] can I still take CoQ10. if it thins my blood further.

10. kim tsun says:

wonderful news to hear,should be tried without a doubt.

11. Gerda George says:

My doctor suggestet to take provastatin 10 mg. for high colesterol — i took it for one week — experienced a sudden drop in bloodpressure – slugginess – muscelpain – tiredness and loss of energy. Beware.!I stopped taking this drug – am 80 years old – my general health is good.

12. cis says:

Vron: OBVIOUSLY I would suggest stopping smoking first and foremost. But also when you say “good diet”, I would check exactly how good it is. And it can most likely be improved compared to what you are currently doing. Does your exercise regimen include stress-reduction measures? I would strongly recommend introducing these (breathing exercises, relaxations/meditation, yoga/tai chi etc)Martin: Have you started supplementing with CO-Q10 yet? This has worked very well in my clients (who decided to come off statins due to muscular pain and – in one case – pancreatitis! Though his doctor fully agreed in that case). Take at least ubiquinone, 100mg a day, ideally 2x day or so until the pain subsides. If you can afford ubiquinol instead, smaller doses may be sufficient. Good luck!

13. Tammy Law says:

My husband is suffering excruciating pain in his lower back, down his legs to behind his knees, and it rotates to his head, just back and forth sharp pains. He is 4 weeks post M.I. with stint placed. He is 42 yrs. old with no prior heart disease until this occured one month ago. We went to the emergency dept. yesterday and they mentioned it may be his cholesterol med. and call the dr. today, in which they said to stop it for one week or until his symptoms went away and then restart it and if symptoms re-appear, then that’s the cause! This pain is absolutely horrible. He said, it’s as bad as his heart attack pain that he had when it comes on. It just rotates back and forth, today is the 6th day of it, but day one of not taking zocor. We’ll see what tomorrow brings. This is scaring me to death and I feel helpless to him and I don’t know what to do. Can the pain be this extreme from the medicine? All they did was give him narcotic pain med. by o.v. in the e.d. and sent him home with oral pain med. I do not understand what is going on. We also saw his family dr. and he gave him steroids and a muscle relaxer 2 days before we went to the e.d. I’m really confused and I pray he will get better. He’s been on the zocor since his heart attack on March 19th and is on 80mg. dose at home for 3 weeks now. Do you have anything else or any more information for us to offer? Is there anyone else suffering really bad sharp pain in the back,down back of legs and the head feels like it fills up with fluid, or like going under water and then the intense pain comes on, goes to back and to the legs. This is best described by him in full detail as above. Thank you for your time. Concerned and scared wife from West Virginia, United States

14. vron says:

i have been told i need to take statin because i have thyroid problems,i take thyroxin,is there anything i could do without taking medication,i am not over weight have lots of exercise,good diet,i smoke apprx 15 cigarettes a week

15. Christopher Aylmer says:

I agree with most of what you say. However, I think the notion that saturated fats are automatically bad for the heart needs to be re-examined. It’s been in the nutrition “bible” too long. I did my own experiment on the effects of low fat and low carb diets on my blood cholesterol and triglycerides over a 10 week period. See my website for details. The low fat diet( 11% of total calories including 2% saturated)) had virtually no effect on my lipid blood profile compared with my normal diet ( 38% fat 8% sat). However, the low carb diet( 60% fat including 12% sat) markedly raised HDL and sharply lowered triglycerides also slightly lowering LDL . The overall effect was a much better blood lipid profile. So six times more saturated fat in my diet improved my blood lipid profile! The villain here may be the carbohydrate not the fats. Incidentally the acute low carb diet was also much better at losing weight.

16. Martin says:

I have stopped taking statins for the same reasons mentioned in most of the posts. My question is how long before the muscular pain will go, I have read in some of the posts that even after a few months the pain is still there. Has long-term damage been done?

17. J. Miller says:

Raise HDL:Pantethine – 900-1200mgNiacin – 2000-5000mgChromium polynicotinate – up to 1000mcg’s (1mg).Lower LDL:Red Yeast Rice – 1800-2400mgTaurine – 2-3 gramsKrill Oil – Twinlab seems to have a solid one of these out. Though don’t think this will take place of fish oil, you need fish oil for MUCH higher amounts of needed EPA and DHALp(a)- NIacin 2000-5000mgYou can make all kinds of concoctions, though the whole point is this: CRP and homocysteine predict heart disease WAY better than and lipoprotein.- J. Miller