Depleted CoQ10 Levels Can Literally Break Your Heart

| March 26, 2015

It’s a well-known fact: Anyone who has taken statin drugs will tell you they have experienced first-hand the consequence of this horrible side effect… and yet the mainstream continues to try to sweep it under the carpet.

I’m talking about the depletion of an essential building block, called coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10) — a major player in the production of  ‘adenosine triphosphate’ (ATP).

ATP is what gives energy to every cell throughout your entire body. If your cells don’t produce CoQ10, there can be no ATP, and without ATP you will have no energy. Your body will also be unable to synthesise protein — the building block of your muscles… muscle pain, weakness and fatigue will set in and before you know it climbing a flight of stairs will have you exhausted by the mere thought of it.

Numerous studies have proven that statin drugs dramatically reduce levels of CoQ10, causing muscle fatigue, muscle pain, and in some cases have even rendered statin users incapable of doing any form of physical exercise.

This muscle pain and weakness is an early indication that your muscle tissue is actually breaking down — a condition that can cause kidney damage. But it gets worse… Your heart is a muscle — the most important muscle in the body. If it stops working, you die. It’s as simple as that.

Suffice to say, depleting the heart muscle of CoQ10 is possibly the worst thing you can do for your heart health. To be frank, depleted levels of CoQ10 may risk the weakening of the heart muscle, which can lead to what is known as ‘heart failure’…

And here’s how serious my previous statement really is:

Recently, researchers from Slovenia decided to get a bird’s eye view of how statin drugs deplete CoQ10 levels. For the study, statins users (who all suffered with muscle pain) were given 100mg of CoQ10 every day for a month with their statin drugs.

At the end of the month, 3 out of 4 patients said the supplement helped ease their muscle pain. However, their pain only decreased by about a third. Even a high dose of CoQ10 wasn’t enough to counteract the rate at which the statins drugs are depleting this essential heart nutrient.

The fact is, statins cause permanent muscle damage, including the ones that keep your heart beating.

CoQ10 deficiency is a serious issue. Your heart muscle thrives on this nutrient, and it helps reduce the inflammation that can lead to heart disease.

Statins are bad news, and this latest study adds to the mounting evidence that these drugs do far more harm than good.

Here's to keeping your heart strong and healthy

Francois Lubbe
Editor

If you enjoyed this content or found it useful and educational, please share this article with your friends and family.

Sources:

Fallon, S. and Mary Enig. “Dangers of Statin Drugs: What You Haven’t Been Told About Popular Cholesterol-Lowering Medicines,” The Weston A. Price Foundation

Psychosomatic Medicine 2000;62.

Journal of the American College of Cardiology July 31, 2007; 50:409-418

Annals of Internal Medicine (1998;128(6):478-487) The Journal of the American Medical Association (1997;278:313- 321)

Annals of Internal Medicine October 3, 2006; 145(7): 520-530

Coenzyme Q10 Supplementation Decreases Statin-Related Mild-to-Moderate Muscle Symptoms: A Randomized Clinical Study, medscimonit.com

Tags: , , , ,

Category: Statin Drugs Side Effects

1. Vito says:

I took statins and it literally detroyed my muscles. I used be buff and strong, now I shake when I try to climb a flight of stairs and I’m just 38 years old.

2. Lionell says:

This is important for everyone taking statin drugs to know. I can’t believe this is not public knowledge… I’m sure if it was these drugs won’t be so widly prescribed!

3. Frank says:

My brief history: I was diagnosed with high (genetic) cholesterol over 25 year (1987) at the age of 26 and along with a strict diet I was given statins (Lipitor) and other cholesterol control medications (TRICOR and Zetia) which barely dropped the total number below 200. I was always complaining to my doctor about muscle pains but he ensured me that my liver numbers were just fine and did not indicate any side effects. Then, at age of 44 (2005), intermittently I start losing the function on my left leg. A few years gone by with many diagnostic tests that could not indicate the reason. Then, slowly I start losing my right leg. Again a few years had gone by with more painful tests (MRI, neurological etc.).
    At the age of 52 (2011), I was diagnosed with a very rare disorder called Inclusion Body Myositis (IBM) which eats my leg muscles (this disorder does not exist in my family). Also they found that I had a spinal stenosis (C5,6,7) and had an operation (2012) that helped with the intermittent loss of my legs. At that point I stopped all cholesterol medications which made me feel better but my IBM was still progressing. My cholesterol level last time I checked in March 2015 was high and I was consulting with my doctor regarding any other medication outside the statins family that I can take. I do believe that the IBM was triggered by the statins but it is very hard to prove it.

Now…surprisingly I felt some tightness on my chess and on April 2015 I had a stent put in the left artery of my heart because it was 80-90% blocked. Now I am on a strict diet and back on statins and Zetia. I don’t know what to do……

4. Marilyn wright says:

Had taken a statin for 10 years, I stopped myself because of side efforts I had heard about. I now do holistic. I will be 60 years old in may. I want to be here to see my grands grow up.

5. pat says:

I have stopped taking statin due to heart pulpitation cheat pain shortness of breath muscle ache plus attitude all this has cleared up since stopping the statin and not due to advice from my doctor I wont advise any one but please consider your options

6. Robert Moody says:

I had to stop taking Statins because of severe weakness. After recovering well from a Triple A and femoral by-pass which was the cause,I was exercising more and more each day. I was told I would have to take Statins but after 2 months I could not exercise at all. Even worse, like a switch being thrown I could only think of dying.I knew it was the statins and a month after stopping I was back to normal.
    Interesting that figures published on suicide rates show a large increase in people aged 45 to 60, the target age for statin pushers.

7. maureen says:

Statin drugs can also cause memory loss as they effect the cholesterol needed by the brain. Statin drugs are the largest selling drug in the world and cases of dementia have never been more widely spread. Somebody needs to do a survey to help prove this.I have experienced it first hand. Much better to exercise and take natural cholesterol lowering foods.

8. Bev says:

I very much enjoyed your article on Statins. I’ve been taking Statins since 2005 and have experienced loss of use of both of my legs, at different times — it was very scarey!! It would be wonderful if, when you publish an article like this, you could provide an alternative to taking these drugs. Any suggestions??

• Editor says:

Hi Bev,

We can’t make any individual recommendations, the best advice we can give is to work with a doctor who is skilled in alternative medicine to design a treatment regime that suits your individual needs.

9. roger zuehlke says:

The pharmaceutical industry as a bed partner with the AMA holds sway over the use of statin drugs and is impervious to any criticism of their use.

10. Sarie Herbert says:

Is it possible to stop the statin drugs and to heal the damage that is done. I need to know that as soon as possible.

• Editor says:

Depending on what damage has been done, many people have experienced a revers of the side effects once they have stopped taking these drugs. High levels of CoQ10 can also help repair some of the muscle damage that occurred as a result of taking these drugs.

11. linda says:

this happened to me so had to stop taking statins tried 3 different ones was really ill ,doctors wouldn’t listen to me

12. I have just read the report on statins how bad they are for you and breaks down the coq10 yet below it you mentioned the good points which in fact override the bad ones WHAT IS THE TRUTH THEN?