The Natural Alternative To Statins Hiding In Your Fruit Basket

| May 25, 2011

The Cholesterol Truth aims to expose Big Pharma’s profit-driven plan to flood the market with dangerous drugs, like cholesterol-lowering statins, that cause a wide range of dangerous side effects like muscle pain, liver dysfunction, kidney failure, depression and cancer to name but a few… We also want to alert people to the fact that cholesterol is not the villain the mainstream is trying to make it out to be — one of the many myths about heart health we’re trying to debunk!

Dr. John Briffa (our contributing editor) pointed out in his previous post, that cholesterol is a natural substance, present in every cell membrane in our bodies and is essential for normal cell function. It’s also a basic building block of many essential hormones in your body, as well as vitamin D. So the mainstream’s old adage that cholesterol is all bad, is not only misguided but also inflammatory!

Since Big Pharma and the mainstream has left no stone unturned in convincing people that statin therapy is the only effective way to protect their heart health, we certainly have our work cut out when it comes to showing people that this is far from being the case. That’s why we go to great lengths to bring you the latest breakthrough research about natural and effective ways to help protect your heart and maintain healthy cholesterol levels — which in our books does not even closely compare to the ridiculously low levels recommended by the mainstream.

A case in point relates to the latest results from an Australian study, which may very well come as a surprise to you… and with a bit of luck it will put a much-needed sock in Big Pharma’s mouth!

Australian researchers analysed the results of 14 international studies, over the past 55 years, which looked at the heart protective benefits of lycopene. Lycopene is the powerful antioxidant that gives ripe tomatoes their bright red colour. Previous research has already shown that it’s essential for good health, since it helps lower the risk of heart attacks and strokes.

The latest findings add to the growing list of its benefits, since the Australian researchers concluded that lycopene provides an excellent natural defence against raised levels of so-called ‘bad’ LDL cholesterol.

Better still, lycopene’s cholesterol-lowering benefits were compared to the effects of small doses of statins, which are used to treat more than 2.5 million Britons with high cholesterol and/or blood pressure. The researchers found that as little as two ounces of tomato paste, or a pint of tomato juice a day, could be an ‘effective alternative’ to statins.

Lead researcher, Dr Karin Ried from the University of Adelaide, said that eating just one tomato a day would not be enough, but recommends looking at tomato paste, which is very rich in lycopene. Writing in the journal Maturitas, Dr Ried added that taking more than 25 milligrams of lycopene daily, can reduce “bad” cholesterol by up to 10 per cent and help protect against heart disease.

Now I don’t know about you, but if I had a choice between a pint of tomato juice daily or a drug that can potentially do irreversible damage to my health… well, I know which one I’d opt for every time!

Lycopene can also be found in watermelon, guava, papaya, pink grapefruit, apricots and rosehip, but in lower concentrations.

Here’s to keeping your heart strong and healthy

Francois Lubbe
Managing Editor

Sign up for our FREE e-letter, The Daily Health, and be the first to learn about urgent advances to help manage your cholesterol and boost your heart health.

When you subscribe today, you'll receive a FREE special report, 10 Steps To Healthy Cholesterol Levels, that will tell you:

1. 10 simple secrets that will help you control your cholesterol - without the risks of cholesterol-lowering statin drugs...

2. The cholesterol 'superfoods' that will help you balance your cholesterol naturally, and...

3. The 2 biggest threats to your heart that you should be tested for (but neither of them is cholesterol!)

No spam pledge: We’ll never rent, misuse or abuse your email address. By signing up you are subscribing to the free Daily Health e-letter and you will occasionally receive carefully selected advertising messages from us and third parties. By signing up, you are consenting to receive these promotions. You can unsubscribe at any time. See our privacy policy.

Sources:

‘Cooked tomatoes ‘as good as statins’ for battling cholesterol’ published online 20.05.11, dailymail.co.uk

‘Do tomatoes really compare to statins?’ published online 25.05.11, falkirkherald.co.uk

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Category: Natural Cholesterol-Lowering Alternatives

1. michelle gregg says:

I had heart attack at the age of 35 and was put on the statins drugs…I was fine up until 2015 where I ended up getting breast cancer…In Noverber of 2016 i was rushed to the hospital with a vessel which was 95% blocked with Cholesterol…Yet I was on this statin drug ????…I have sence been put on this other statin drug called Atorvastatin 80mg.1 pill taken at night…Sence Ive been on this drug I now Have type2 diabets and I have a fatty Liver…I also have bad depression…So after reading all this it now put things in to place and helps me understand that this drug has caused alot more problems for me…Im now stuck as to where and what to do.?????

2. Rosemary says:

I was put on Slimvastin. my cholestral was 7.9, after a year my results dropped to 4.6. I was in constant pain in the back of my hands and in my legs. I also suffer from Atheritas and Sciaticar. I stopped taking it and the pains stopped within three days. I now take odourless garlic. I did this years ago ( my brother-in-laws advice) when my results were the same, 7.9 and it dropped to 6.5. My old doctor said, whatever you are doing keep doing it as it is working. Six months ago my cholestral was 7.8. I will be having another test next week so I will know if it is working again. My advice to you all is tart to ke it yourselves, no smell.

3. alice marlin says:

My doctor keeps insistng that I take statins. True my total cholesterol is265 but my HDL is 70 and my tryglycerides are 79, My LDL is 180 but and my radio 3.7 .I do not want to take statins .Am I risking a heart attack or a stroke ??

4. Michael says:

I`ve been on 80 mg simvastatin for 12 years, never had any side effects at all, one of the lucky ones i guess. I have always had a healthy diet and i exercise, i take fish oil and co Q 10 every day, just in case.

5. Bob Rasmussen says:

After a heart attack in Sept. 98,they put in two stents ,prescribed Lepotor 80 mg ?;insisting I should remain on that strength for the rest of my life ! I asked the cardioligst if he had read any recent research on statin drugs and CoQ10 ? He wasn’t amused. I now take a 100mg CoQ10 Ubiquenol ,twice dly. and 4 Power Squares o fdark chocolate with Acai and Blueberries spread over the day. And I have never felt better ! Best Bob R.

6. ken Shields says:

I HAVE TRIED MANY STATINS, AND CAN ONLY SAY THAT THEY ARE A DISASTER . I GOT A/F AND MY HEART WOULD BEAT AT 155 BEATS P/M. I FINISHED IN HOSPITAL TWICE ANDI STOPPED TAKING STATINS AND LEFT THEM BACK WITH THE DOCTOR, MY HEALTH IS WELL IMPROVED & CAN NOW HAVE A GOOD NIGHTS SLEEP WITHOUT PAINS & FEELING NERVOUS.

7. JACKIE says:

how many pink grapefruit do you need to eat a day to help lower cholestrol? need help have a problem trying to stay on low carb diet. miss the bread

8. Tom crowley says:

I was on crestor 10 mg for 5years my mustles collapsed in my arms , the pain at night was awful .it was like trying to lift a large bag of concreet off the bed in the mornings instead of the bed clothes . My legs also ached and my balance began to go. Also my fingers began to cramp upI also got cramped in my legs.I got so sick of the pain ,I stopped taking the crestor .most of my pain disappeared . I am going to have to find a natural remedy ,Tom

9. Carmen Borg says:

very interesting some healthy and low calories recepes please tks

10. Bill Wilkinson says:

3yrs after a heart attack and susequent triple bypass, I was prescribed Rosavastatin 5mg & Ezetimibe. I became weak, unable to do even light tasks. Anything that had to be done was completed in the morning, afternoons I was washed out. after presenting to my Doctors (3) with joint and muscle weakness and each prescribed Ibuprofen I took myself off 1st the Ezetimibe and later the Statin since which I have resumed my previous pastimes. free from most of the problems.

11. joyce jacobs says:

I was put on Simvastatin to lower my LDH albeit every other factor was good….my GP never thought it necessary for those reasons….but, after a pre-admission ECG at hospital before a full-hysterectomy, he reluctanly put me on the above statin after the hospital’s advice! I took it for a very long agonizing 7 days…..and stopped!!! I was getting the most horrible side effects…..pains in my legs, arms, neck, face…..sometimes almost electric shock.

12. Rod Payne says:

Last year when I had my annual review with the practice nurse, I was told that according to a new computer program, I had a 40% chance of having a heart attack in the next 10 years.(I am 62) I was put on Simvastatin 40mg daily and within a month my colestrol count was 4.2. The problem was that the veins in both my legs were hurting and this was even when resting. I went to see my GP and suggested that it was the simvastatin, but was told it wasn’t and I needed to have compression stockings or a visit to the vascular surgeon. Thinking that the stockings might help I opted for them and so I kept taking the Simvastatins . I then started waking up in the morning with my heart racing and palpitations and my legs were getting worse . I made the decision to stop taking the statins, (after 6 months of hell) and I can now walk and I feel a lot better in myself my veins are not so pronounced and no more problems with the ticker racing. I know 3 other people that have stopped takin the statins and have felt a lot better. I don’t wear any compression stockings , just a peice of Tubegauze on one calf for a bit of support during the daytime. My next annual reveil is due soon so I will then break the news to the nurse.

13. John A. Rivera says:

I took 80mm of lipitor for six months and it made me weak and sore leg muscles on legs. My Tris are 300 and I need to find something to bring it down. Thanks for the information that you posted to help people like me.