Statins Increase Your Risk Of Parkinson’s Disease

| April 16, 2015

Alzheimer’s disease and Parkinson’s disease are probably two of the most feared diseases, especially as we grow older. Both have devastating effects on the brain and nervous system and even though both diseases have “early onset” versions, generally they affect the elderly.

Now, a new study has found that you can cut your risk of Parkinson’s disease by 50 per cent if you avoid taking statin drugs… or viewed from a different angle: Statin drugs increase your risk of Parkinson’s disease by a whopping 50 per cent.

US researchers looked at blood cholesterol levels, medications and Parkinson’s disease status in nearly 16,000 men and women who participated in the ongoing, long-term Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities study. During the study, the researchers took cholesterol readings at three-year intervals over the course of a decade from 1987 to 1998, before widespread statin use began. Then, from 1998 to 2008, they tracked how many men and women had started statin therapy, and how many of them developed Parkinson’s disease.

The results showed that men and women who took statin drugs were twice as likely to develop Parkinson’s disease. But here’s the interesting part: The researchers linked higher total cholesterol with lower Parkinson’s disease risk.

Commenting on the study results, lead researcher Dr. Xuemei Huang, said, “If we blanket prescribe statins to people we could be creating a huge population of people with neurological problems.”

In fact, the study results even made waves in the UK. Dr. Kailash Chand, Deputy Director of the British Medical Association, said in an interview: “The risks of side-effects of these drugs are far greater than any potential benefits and it is high time these drugs were restricted…”

And he is right. Statin drugs have been linked to cataracts, type 2 diabetes, muscle damage, kidney and liver disorders, Alzheimer’s disease and memory loss, and even heart disease itself. And now we can add Parkinson’s disease.

For more than a decade we’ve been warning our readers against the cholesterol con. And now, finally, it seems like some mainstream doctors are beginning to cotton onto the truth: Our bodies produce cholesterol for a reason. It has an essential biological function and interfering with this natural biology has detrimental effects on our health.

A friend of mine recently used the following metaphor to describe the mainstream’s backward thinking when it comes to cholesterol: All cars have wheels. They need wheels in order to take us from point A to point B. However, cars are sometimes in accidents, which sometimes kill people. So what’s the solution? Take away their wheels, because without wheels they can’t make accidents, right?

Humans need cholesterol in the same way cars need wheels. It’s just how it works.

Here's to keeping your heart strong and healthy

Francois Lubbe
Editor

If you enjoyed this content or found it useful and educational, please share this article with your friends and family.

Source:

“Statins, plasma cholesterol

Tags: , , ,

Category: Latest Cholesterol Research

1. Cecil says:

These drugs are poison. I think when they are finally banned we’ll see a drop in numbers in so many disease.

2. Luke says:

My wife has alway eaten healthy more so than myself, she is of average weight for height and build. Her GP said her cholesterol was high (5) and put her on a high dose of statin. Within 12 months of taking statins she developed d muscle problems, cramps, light headedness, could not concentrate, found reading difficult despite being an author and translator. 16 months after she started taking statins she was diagnosed with Parkinsons. When we made the link she came off statins and although the light-headedness has went and she could now concentrate and read the PD tremors remain.
    The thing is we knew many people who taok stains with few side-effect but they do not eat healthy and let the statins reduce cholesterol. However, we know of one friend who soon after he took statins developed PD.

3. pam jackson says:

My husband has been on a statin for 16 years, and has Parkinsons I have read much about it, and just read your article to him, and he has decided to go off of the new statin..He was on Lipitor. What herbs to you suggest? I was reading about garlic…

4. Eileen young says:

I also take Q10 uniquinol to keep a healthy heart , it is often called the spark of life to your whole body

5. Eileen young says:

I was encouraged by a friend who was told to take garlic pills every day instead of statins my doctor kept an eye on me and my cholesterol has not gone up so I am much happier not taking statins.

6. paul martin says:

To reduce your cholesterol naturally,get enough fibre in your diet to produce 2
    bowel movements a day.I eat a bowl of OATMEAL every day for breakfast with
    a handfull of shelled walnuts on top.Longer cooking(7 min.)quaker oats or steel cut oats will do the trick.The fast transit time and frequency of bowl movements will
    not let the cholesterol linger in the intestine long enough to be fully absorbed by your system.Additional fibre via other meals only makes things better.

7. paul freeman says:

I like the wheels metaphor, I must remember it. The one I use to people who say ,”Yes but cholesterol is found in the plaque on arterial walls, so it stands to reason it’s the cause”, goes like this:
    I travel a lot on motorways. I see a lot of accidents on my travels, some times little ones, sometimes quite serious big ones. And the thing which distinguishes the two is that, at the big ones, there’s ALWAYS vehicles with the flashing blue lights. so CLEARLY if you banned vehicles with flashing blue lights, then there wouldn’t be any nasty accidents, right?

8. Robin says:

So what’s the alternative to statins

• Editor says:

Hi Robin,

There is no need to take statin drugs and therefor you don’t need an alternative because cholesterol is not the enemy it is made out to be. What’s important is to take measures to keep your heart healthy… and as we have mentioned many times before, low cholesterol levels may actually be detrimental to your heart health.

• Wendy says:

Dear Editor, I’m sorry, but I totally disagree with you, cholesterol can be the enemy and isn’t necessarily the persons fault.

I’m a runnner, I used to work out 5-6 times a week and have a very healthy heart and an excellent diet, a lot of salads, fiber and stayed away from almost all fatty foods, red meat etc. Yet my cholesterol kept climbing. Then I found out that my mother and 6 older siblings all had it and were all taking Statins. So the DR and I finally gave in and I went on 10mg and have lowered my cholesterol from it’s peak of 240+ to sustain around 200. Am I happy taking Statin no, but alternatives didn’t help me, Garlic, fish oil, cinnamon, etc. I’m now almost 62, been on Statins for about 10 years, still eating healthy and maintaining the 200 number. So please dont try to convince everyone that they aren’t needed because after all cholesterol is good for us because it’s natural to our bodies, That is pure B.S.! Yes, you don’t want to lower it too low, but still too high is worse alternative. And yes, many people can control it by diet and exercise, but there are many of us that can’t.

• Editor says:

Hi Wendy,

It’s fantastic to see a naysayer join the conversation.

It’s great that statin drugs work well for you i.e. lowering your cholesterol. That is after all what they are designed to do and anyone who takes these drugs will find that they get exactly the same result as you: dangerously depleted cholesterol levels that WILL eventually harm their health.

Yet the real point of debate is this: Did your elevated cholesterol levels make you sick or give you any symptoms of ill health?

If it didn’t, why did you decide to lower it? Was it perhaps because mainstream medicine succeeded in scaring you into believing that elevated cholesterol levels will eventually harm your health?

In fact, from what you are saying, you were enjoying perfect health… and yet, you were led to believe that you need to lower your cholesterol. Isn’t that similar to your doctor saying: “Well you know, some people do get liver cancer and even though your liver shows no symptoms of illness, I’m going to remove it… just in case.”

You don’t think there is something not so kosher about that?

Since there is no scientific evidence directly linking cholesterol to heart disease, it is our educated opinion (supported by years of scientific research as noted at the bottom of each of our articles) that lowering your cholesterol levels has no effect on protecting you against cardiovascular events.

We are well-versed in the biological (natural) function and importance of cholesterol in the human body and will continue to send our educational message of caution, which has benefited hundreds of thousands of statin users and helped them regain control over their health after suffering the dangerous side effects of these drugs.

As we always say in a discourse with those who believe everything their doctor tells them: You are welcome to your own opinion, but not to your own set of facts.

Just a word of caution: What you may consider as the normal signs of ageing (you say you are now 62), could very well be statin side effects – macular degeneration, fatigue, muscle pain and deterioration, kidney problems, liver problems, memory loss and even dementia.

Wishing you good health and best of luck

• Gerald Fitz. says:

Yes, I do believe that LDL cholesterol the so called bad cholesterol should be control as much as possible and maintain at a proper level below 200 mg/dl is desirable. I’m Told.
      I myself had high cholesterol for many years and I try different statin medication that was prescribe and the side-effect where to much, so I found an all natural product to lower my cholesterol and triglycerides to it’s proper levels With the advice of my health care provider.
      The results of my blood test did better than I and my Doctor expected, just in the first few weeks of taking the product was surprising.
      So it’s important to do your research and advise your Doctor that you would like to try a more natural approach than statin medication. That’s my opinion.